Below are links to agendas for the week of December 12, 2016. Later we will add more content.
We encourage citizens to scan through agendas for any items important to them.
- Vancouver City Council has two meetings (regular Dec 13 Tues, standing committee Dec 14 Wed), plus a Public Hearing on Dec 13.
- Urban Design Panel (Dec 14 Wed)
- Vancouver Park Board Dec 12 (Mon)
- Vancouver City Planning Commission appears to have no more meetings in 2016.
- Development Permit Board (DPB) next meeting is set for Dec 12 (Mon).
- Vancouver Board of Education (Vancouver School Board) agenda for any future meeting is not currently posted.
Conspicuously absent is an important task force report that was expected in December (see Vancouver’s Independent Election Task Force: What’s happening now?). Also it seems Council has never received the report back from a former senior staffer who was sent to Ottawa on taxpayer funds to lobby the federal government for Vancouver (see Where’s Mike (Magee)? Former City Chief of Staff, current “Special Advisor to the Mayor.” Time up Sept 1?).
Today we would also like to give special mention to Metro Vancouver (GVRD). The December 9 Board meeting was cancelled, and the official website calendar for 2017 is entirely blank of meetings. Twenty four hours after a direct inquiry, Metro Vancouver still has been unable to respond by providing the dates of board meetings for January 2017 and beyond.
Vancouver Park Board, Monday, Dec 12, 2016 (7 pm)
- Main item: Community Centre Association Joint Operating Agreement (download PDF).
CHW comment: This is very controversial, with a long history, and has had a lot of media coverage. See our recent post: Community Centre Associations disappointed with Vancouver Park Board’s ‘continued refusal to address community needs’ in draft Joint Operating Agreement. We hope the Park Board will be be fair in its dealings. If you have a comment for your elected Park Board Commissioners, perhaps send them a note (see contact list here).
Vancouver City Council – Regular Council, Tuesday, Dec 13, 2016, 9:30 am
Selected topics (see official agenda for all, about 50 items in total, including bylaws):
- 2017 Capital and Operating Budget
- Appointments for January 1 to December 31, 2017: Standing Committee Chairs and Vice-Chairs, and Nomination Sub-Committee; Council Representatives to Vancouver Public Library Board and Statutory Committees; Council Representatives to Regional Bodies; Deputy Mayor, Acting Mayor, and Roster of Councillors to Represent Council
- Funding Applications for Active Transportation Projects and Community Energy Project
- Temporary Heritage Protection of 4255 West 12th Avenue
- Facilitating Growth in Vancouver’s Innovation Economy – Railtown – Zoning and Development By-law Amendments for I-4 (Historic Industrial) District
- New Street Name – Maxine Lane
- Culture: Fourth Pillar of Sustainability
- Action to Speed Refugee Arrivals
- Investigating DCL Waivers (Councillor Adriane Carr)
- Update Special Events Policy
- DCL Waiver Independent Third Party Inquiry (Councillor George Affleck)