Below is contact information for Mayor and Councillors on City Council (total of 11 persons), as well as Trustees on the Vancouver Board of Education, and Commissioners on the Vancouver Board of Parks and Recreation (as of July 2021).
Instructions and links to “Send your comments to Council” or “Speak to Council” are typically posted on the relevant meeting agenda online (https://vancouver.ca/your-government/city-council-meetings-and-decisions.aspx). Your messages to Council as elected officials become part of official communications.
Direct e-mails or phone calls to each person are often considered to be. Full and up to date information is at this link.
For your convenience, here are their direct e-mail addresses.
Or here they are in one list:
firstname.lastname@example.org; CLRbligh@vancouver.ca, CLRboyle@vancouver.ca, CLRcarr@vancouver.ca, CLRdegenova@vancouver.ca, CLRdominato@vancouver.ca, CLRfry@vancouver.ca, CLRhardwick@vancouver.ca, CLRkirbyemail@example.com, CLRswanson@vancouver.ca, CLRwiebe@vancouver.ca
Here is an online form to send message to Mayor and Council:
Here are their Twitter handles:
Vancouver, this is your city! Those who voted in the last civic election (2018) elected the 11 officials now in council. Those who voted gave them power during that election, but what really makes our city work is the day-to-day decisions made at City Hall under the advice of the public servants (staff) working for the City. Citizens also get opportunities to provide input to the city, at committee meetings, Council meetings, and public hearings.
You can write and phone, but contacting members of Council IN PERSON is an important way to get your issues and needs across. This web page is dedicated to supporting active citizen involvement, and (one hopes) constructive input. Read on for info and tips to be more clear, concise, and effective.
Citizens who consider themselves affected by proposed, rezonings, policies, and by-law amendments can speak at a committee meeting or Public Hearing (click here for agendas). Please register individually by telephone or by e-mail before the meeting you’re interested in. Contact info is provided on the agenda webpage for each meeting. You may also register in person at the door before the Hearing. Provide your name, contact phone number, and mention the agenda number and item for the specified date. The chair should also make a last call for speakers after the last registered speaker at the meeting.
- If you’re busy and cannot afford to wait hours for your chance to speak, before going to City Hall, Call 311 and ask for the City Clerk’s Office, then ask where the meeting is on the agenda. You could time your arrival accordingly. Citizens have been known to wait for 8 hours or more for a chance to speak for 5 minutes, so this one little phone call could save you a LOT of time.
- When you arrive for an evening meeting, you must push the unmarked button on the left at the front door of City Hall for the security guard to let you enter, and then go to the Council Chambers on the third floor. (Don’t let the large “closed” signs fool you.)
- Anyone who cannot attend can watch live by Internet. You can also replay the recorded video the next day on your computer. Or watch by Shaw cable on later days. Click here for more info.
West End Neighbours has some excellent materials and tips on speaking to City Council. Please click here.
Note: When you request to speak to an item on a Regular Council agenda, it’s up to Council to decide whether or not to hear speakers at all, since it does not hear speakers at a Regular Council meeting. If Council decides to hear speakers, it will be to referred to a committee meeting, often the next day. If a report is on a Standing Committee agenda, speakers will be heard at the meeting. If you want to speak to a report listed on a Standing Committee agenda, you only need to request to be put on the speakers list.
Vancouver Board of Education (School Board)
Mailing address: School District #39, 1580 West Broadway, Vancouver, BC V6J 5K8
E-mail addresses for Trustees:
Vancouver Board of Parks and Recreation (Park Board)
- John Coupar: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Stuart Mackinnon: email@example.com
- Tricia Barker: Tricia.Barker@vancouver.ca
- Dave Demers: Dave.Demers@vancouver.ca
- Camil Dumont: Camil.Dumont@vancouver.ca
- Gwen Giesbrecht: Gwen.Giesbrecht@vancouver.ca
- John Irwin: John.Irwin@vancouver.ca