It is vital that all concerned citizens register their opposition to the development of a giant casino in downtown Vancouver. Here is some current information from our group.
STEPS IN OPPOSING THE DOWNTOWN MEGA CASINO
Address the motion from Councillor Ellen Woodsworth.
As you can see, motion calls for a review of provincial policy regarding gaming revenues. Note that this motion does not address the issue of gambling expansion or the casino development.
- Write to Council. This motion is on the agenda for the February 1st meeting beginning at 9.30 a.m. Your email can be as simple as “I am very concerned about how gambling revenues are distributed. I support Councillor Ellen Woodsworth’s motion asking the province for a review of its gaming policies.” Do send your email to all councillors. (You can put them all in one To… line, you don’t have to address each one separately.) email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com
- Speak to Council on this motion. In order to do this, you must register immediately. Registration closes in the week before the meeting. Contact Pat Boomhower, Meeting Coordinator, at 604.873.7015 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org You’ll find all this, and more, on the AABC website Action Alerts: http://www.artsadvocacybc.ca/action-alerts/ If you’ve never spoken to Council before, you’ll find some help here: http://vancouver.ca/ctyclerk/mayorcouncil/speaktocouncil.htm
- Attend the public forum put on by the Vancouver-not-Vegas ad hoc action committee, Wednesday, February 9th, 7.00 p.m. at the Chines Cultural Centre, 50 East Pender Street. More information here: http://dontgamblevancouver.wordpress.com/201/01/26/public-forum-vancouver-casino-expansion/
- Attend the city staff information forum on Tuesday, February 8. Time and place TBA.
- Mark your calendar now! Be sure to attend the Public Hearing on Thursday, February 17th, 7.30 p.m. at City Hall. We want to see hundreds of people there in opposition to the casino development. Bring your friends and colleagues.
For further information, questions, etc.: You’ll find lots on both the AABC website http://www.artsadvocacybc.ca/ and the Vancouver-not-Vegas website http://dontgamblevancouver.wordpress.com/ Feel free to email or call (604-215-0019) if you have any other questions.