[Update: The motion was approved and it will come into effect on August 1, 2020]
A Special Meeting of Vancouver City Council on July 29th at 4pm will consider a pilot project to allow for alcohol consumption in four public spaces. The pilot project would run between August 10, 2020 and October 12, 2020. At three of the four sites (Cambie & W17th, Vancouver Art Gallery, Robson and Bute) liquor consumption would be allowed between 11am and 9pm. The site at 900 West Cordova would have shorter hours between 4pm and 9pm.
Signage will be posted to show the boundaries of the areas where the liquor consumption is allowed and the hours that this activity is permitted.
A report back on the pilot project will be used for evaluation purposes. The four designated sites are shown below:
Interested speakers need to sign up by 3pm of July 29th to register.
For reference, the staff report and meeting agenda are reproduced below:
Special Council agenda July 29, 2020 (agenda revised July 24, 2020)
Date and location
Wednesday, July 29, 2020, 4 pm
Council Chamber, Third Floor, City Hall
- This is a Special Council meeting called by the Mayor under Section 14.5 of the Procedure By-law to consider a pilot for liquor consumption in public places and the necessary amendments to the City Land Regulation By-law No. 8735 Regarding Consumption of Liquor on City Land to enable the pilot.
• This Special Council meeting is to be convened by electronic means as authorized by Part 14 of the Procedure By-law and the Vancouver Charter.
• Requests to speak must be received prior to 3 pm on the day of the meeting; however, speakers are encouraged to submit comments to http://vancouver.ca/contact-council or provide comments by phone in lieu of attending in person
- • Speak to Council about an agenda item at http://vancouver.ca/speak-to-council.
- Members of the public may attend City Hall to hear the meeting proceeding, but are strongly urged to listen to the proceedings via the City’s website or follow Twitter @VanCityClerk.
- Health protocols associated with COVID-19 will be observed for all members of the public in attendance.
Get involved and stay informed
Tip: Send your comments by the day before the meeting so Council has time to review them.
Sign up to speak about an agenda item by 3:00 pm. Requests to speak must be received no later than one hour prior to the scheduled start time of the meeting.
Questions about this agenda?
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Phone 604.829.4272
1. Alcohol Consumption in Public Spaces Pilot – Recommendations
Margaret Wittgens, Deputy General Manager of Engineering, to present the proposed recommendations for the Alcohol Consumption in Public Spaces Pilot.
2. A By-law to amend the City Land Regulation By-law No. 8735 Regarding Consumption of Liquor on City Land
Subject to approval of Item 1.
* * * * *
* * * * *