[Epilogue: After extensive technical problems with the system, Mayor Kennedy Stewart gave up on chairing this meeting from his home, rushed to City Hall, and 80 minutes after the scheduled start time, began the meeting. With Councillor Hardwick the only opposed, Council voted to accept the staff recommendation and go ahead with a Public Hearing on May 5, albeit with a time change from staff-proposed 1 pm to start at 6 pm. If the Public Hearing is actually held, it will expose City Hall to the risk of legal challenges, as described in our post “City staff are proposing an immediate shift to ‘electronic’ Public Hearings: Illegal …“]
A report entitled COVID-19 Pandemic Impacts: Financial Update and Short-Term Actions will be reviewed. The report notes that over 15,000 businesses have been temporarily closed in the City and that significant shortfalls in revenue are expected.
Staff have withdrawn their recommendation of referral to Public Hearing for the controversial 28-storey rezoning at 2538 Birch (at Broadway). A 16-storey tower for this site, the former Denny’s, was previously approved, and it has already been given a development permit.
There is an item on the agenda to schedule a Public Hearing on May 5, 2020 starting at 1pm; this Public Hearing had previously been scheduled for April 28. The action to hold a virtual Public Hearing might be illegal under the Vancouver Charter (see a previous CityHallWatch post here). The Coalition of Vancouver Neighbourhoods (CVN) has written a number of letters to Vancouver City Council opposing and raising concerns about starting electronic Public Hearings in the midst of the COVID-19 emergency (See “Letter to City Council: Democracy and remote Public Hearings during COVID-19 emergency” plus a letter about the May 5 proposed Public Hearing, and letter April 5 about “Electronic Council Meetings and Public Hearings during COVID-19 Emergency“).
There are no motions on notice from Councillors. For reference, included below is a copy of the meeting agenda:
April 14, 2020
Date and location
Tuesday, April 14, 2020 9:30 am
Council Chamber, Third Floor, City Hall
- Members of the public may attend at the Council Chamber in City Hall to hear the meeting proceeding, but are strongly urged to listen to the proceedings via the City’s website.
- Health protocols associated with COVID-19 will be observed for all members of the public and any speakers in attendance.
- Get involved and stay informedSend comments to Council Tip: Send your comments by the day before the meeting so Council has time to review them.Sign up to speak about an agenda item by 8:30am. Requests to speak must be received no later than one hour prior to the scheduled start time of the meeting.Request to speakWatch the live broadcastGet updates on TwitterQuestions about this agenda?
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Phone 604.829.4323
IN CAMERA MEETING
THAT Council will go into meetings later this week which are closed to the public, pursuant to Section 165.2(1) of the Vancouver Charter, to discuss matters related to paragraphs:
(c) labour relations or other employee relations;
(g) litigation or potential litigation affecting the city;
(i) the receipt of advice that is subject to solicitor-client privilege, including communications necessary for that purpose;
(j) information that is prohibited, or information that if it were presented in a document would be prohibited, from disclosure under section 21 [disclosure harmful to business interests of a third party] of the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act.
ADOPTION OF MINUTES
MATTERS ADOPTED ON CONSENT
1. Changes to 2020 Council Meetings Schedule
2. 2020 LMLGA Submission Adjustments
1. COVID-19 Pandemic Impacts: Financial Update and Short-Term Actions
1. CD-1 Amendment: 2538 Birch Street (Formerly 1296 West Broadway) – WITHDRAWN
At the Special Council meeting on March 31, 2020, Council referred the above-noted report to the Council meeting on April 14, 2020, for consideration. This report has since been withdrawn by staff.
1. A By-law to amend Zoning and Development By-law No. 3575 to rezone an area to CD-1 (3281-3295 East 22nd Avenue)
(Councillors Bligh, Boyle, Dominato, Fry, Hardwick, Kirby-Yung, Swanson, Wiebe and Mayor Stewart not on Council at the time of the Public Hearing.)
2. A By-law to enact a Housing Agreement for 1523 Davie Street (Gabriola Mansion)
3. A By-law to enact a Housing Agreement for 1717 Lorne Street
4. A By-law to amend Sign By-law No. 11879 (1303 Kingsway and 3728 Clark Drive)
5. A By-law to amend Noise Control By-law No. 6555 (1303 Kingsway and 3728 Clark Drive)
6. A By-law to amend Sign By-law No. 11879 (3510 Fraser Street)
(Councillors Dominato, Swanson and Wiebe will need to review the proceedings to be eligible to vote)
7. A By-law to amend Noise Control By-law No. 6555 (3510 Fraser Street)
8. A By-law to amend Parking By-law No. 6059 with regard to CD-1 District Parking requirements (3510 Fraser Street)
9. A By-law to amend the Tax Penalty By-law No. 9284
Subject to approval of Report 1
NOTICE OF COUNCIL MEMBER’S MOTIONS
ENQUIRIES AND OTHER MATTERS
* * * * *