Proposed by Westbank Project Corp and affiliated company Creative Energy (formerly Central Heat Distribution Ltd.), here are details of an open house for a rezoning application for 720 Beatty Street from Downtown (DD) District to Comprehensive Development (CD-1) to permit the development of a 17-storey office tower, above a steam plant that provides thermal energy to the downtown peninsula. See below to links to presentation materials and documents.
March 11, 2019 (Monday)
5 to 7:30 pm
Vancouver Public Library Central Branch,
Alice Mackay Room (350 W Georgia St)
- building height of 80.4 m (263.8 ft.)
- total gross floor area of 57,307 sq. m (616,847 sq. ft.)
- floor space ratio (FSR) of 11.55
- ground level commercial space
- upgrade to the Creative Energy plant
Westbank’s Bjarke Ingels-designed office tower goes to open house –
Open house March 11 for proposed Beatty Street project (Naoibh O’Connor, Vancouver Courier, 27-Feb-2019)
Note that the application goes to the Urban Design Panel on April 17, 2019.
Here is a CityHallWatch story from 2015. Note that project details have changed since then.
Steam plant issues (carbon, water, biofuel): Proposed 19 & 20 storey rezoning at Central Steam Site, 720 Beatty Street (8-Jul-2018)
The Creative Energy steam plant at 720 Beatty in Vancouver. (Ric Ernst, Vancouver Sun, 2015)
Below is text from the rezoning applications page as of 11-Mar-2019.
Rezoning Application – 720 Beatty Street
The City has received a rezoning application to rezone 720 Beatty Street from Downtown (DD) District to Comprehensive Development (CD-1) to permit the development of a 17-storey office tower that includes:
- a building height of 80.4 m (263.8 ft.)
- a total gross floor area of 57,307 sq. m (616,847 sq. ft.)
- a floor space ratio (FSR) of 11.55
- a ground level commercial space
- an upgrade to the creative energy plant
- 4 levels of underground parking with 358 parking spaces and
325 bicycle spaces
This application is being considered under the Rezoning Policy for the Central Business District (CBD) and CBD Shoulder.
A community open house will be held from 5:00 – 7:30 pm on Monday, March 11, 2019 at the Vancouver Public Library Central Branch, Alice Mackay Room (350 W Georgia St). The applicant team and City staff will be available to answer questions.
You can provide comments by filling out our online feedback form.
- Rezoning Rationale
- Design Rationale
- Project Statistics
- Site Context
- Shadow Study
- Survey & Site Plan
- Floor Plan
- Public Realm
- Landscape Plan
Note: 701 Expo Boulevard, directly south of the subject site is not included in the rezoning application for 720 Beatty Street. The intended design for 701 Expo Boulevard has been shown within this application for context as it pertains to the application. 701 Expo Boulevard currently zoned under the B.C Place/Expo District (BCPED) where a development permit application will be made for the intended retail uses following the rezoning.
Advisory Group and Community Open House Meetings
- Community Open House – March 11, 2019
- Urban Design Panel – April 17, 2019
- Rezoning Policy for the Central Business District (CBD) and CBD Shoulder
- Downtown Official Development Plan
- Metro Core Jobs and Economy Land Use Plan
To view additional plans please make an appointment with the rezoning planner.