Information from the City of Vancouver website, 25-Feb-2019. See the link for more information, including chronology.
Saturday, March 2, 2019
12 noon to 1 pm: Ceremonial Welcome
1 pm to 4 pm: Open House
Jericho Hill Gym (4180 West 4th Ave)
Second Open House
Thursday, March 7, 2019
4:30 to 7:30 pm
Jericho Hill Pool and Gymnasium, 4180 W 4th Avenue
Jericho Lands Planning Program
The Jericho Lands are a 36-hectare (90 acre) area in Vancouver’s West Point Grey neighbourhood bounded by W 4th Ave, Highbury St, W 8th Ave, and Discovery St. The site is within the unceded traditional territories of the Musqueam, Squamish, and Tsleil-Waututh Nations (MST) and owned by the MST Nations and Canada Land Company (CLC).
The Jericho Lands will go through a comprehensive planning program:
- Ways to advance collective work toward reconciliation
- Creating a complete community with a range of housing options with different income levels and tenures
- Providing new housing within walking distance of existing and future frequent transit routes, including a potential Skytrain extension to UBC
- Providing shops, services, childcare, and employment space to support the new community and the rest of the city
- Recognizing and celebrating cultural and heritage assets
- Creating new parks and open spaces, and a comprehensive package of other community amenities to be determined through the planning process
- There is a recent proposal to extend the subway from Arbutus to UBC with a station at the Jericho Lands with expectations that development on the site will contribute to funding the subway and station.
- This could mean additional bonus density similar to the Cambie Corridor and Oakridge.
- Rather than development fees going towards civic amenities such as replacement of the community centre facilities already onsite, fees will go towards provincial responsibilities of transit funding.