Below are links to agendas for the week of December 12, 2016. Later we will add more content.
We encourage citizens to scan through agendas for any items important to them.
- Vancouver City Council has two meetings (regular Dec 13 Tues, standing committee Dec 14 Wed), plus a Public Hearing on Dec 13.
- Urban Design Panel (Dec 14 Wed)
- Vancouver Park Board Dec 12 (Mon)
- Vancouver City Planning Commission appears to have no more meetings in 2016.
- Development Permit Board (DPB) was set for Dec 12 (Mon), but was abruptly cancelled on Dec 9 until further notice.
- Vancouver Board of Education (Vancouver School Board) agenda is now posted for Dec 12 (Mon) (according to former chair Patti Bacchus, the public can watch the government-appointed trustee debate motions with herself.).
Conspicuously absent is an important task force report that was expected in December (see Vancouver’s Independent Election Task Force: What’s happening now?). Also it seems Council has never received the report back from a former senior staffer who was sent to Ottawa on taxpayer funds to lobby the federal government for Vancouver (see Where’s Mike (Magee)? Former City Chief of Staff, current “Special Advisor to the Mayor.” Time up Sept 1?).
Today we would also like to give special mention to Metro Vancouver (GVRD). The December 9 Board meeting was cancelled, and the official website calendar for 2017 is entirely blank of meetings. Twenty four hours after a direct inquiry, Metro Vancouver still has been unable to respond by providing the dates of board meetings for January 2017 and beyond.
Vancouver Park Board, Monday, Dec 12, 2016 (7 pm)
- Main item: Community Centre Association Joint Operating Agreement (download PDF).
CHW comment: This is very controversial, with a long history, and has had a lot of media coverage. See our recent post: Community Centre Associations disappointed with Vancouver Park Board’s ‘continued refusal to address community needs’ in draft Joint Operating Agreement. We hope the Park Board will be be fair in its dealings. If you have a comment for your elected Park Board Commissioners, perhaps send them a note (see contact list here).
Vancouver City Council – Regular Council, Tuesday, Dec 13, 2016, 9:30 am
Selected topics (see official agenda for all, about 50 items in total, including bylaws):
- 2017 Capital and Operating Budget
- Appointments for January 1 to December 31, 2017: Standing Committee Chairs and Vice-Chairs, and Nomination Sub-Committee; Council Representatives to Vancouver Public Library Board and Statutory Committees; Council Representatives to Regional Bodies; Deputy Mayor, Acting Mayor, and Roster of Councillors to Represent Council
- Funding Applications for Active Transportation Projects and Community Energy Project
- Temporary Heritage Protection of 4255 West 12th Avenue
- Facilitating Growth in Vancouver’s Innovation Economy – Railtown – Zoning and Development By-law Amendments for I-4 (Historic Industrial) District
- New Street Name – Maxine Lane
- Culture: Fourth Pillar of Sustainability
- Action to Speed Refugee Arrivals
- Investigating DCL Waivers (Councillor Adriane Carr)
- Update Special Events Policy
- DCL Waiver Independent Third Party Inquiry (Councillor George Affleck)
Public Hearing – Tues, Dec 13, 2016, 6 pm
- MISCELLANEOUS TEXT AMENDMENTS
- Temporary Modular Housing Definition And Regulations: Proposed Amendments To Existing City-Owned Cd-1 Sites, And Design Guidelines. Related media: “Vancouver bets on modular to fix housing and homeless crisis
Vancouver’s first modular housing complex slated to open in early 2017″ (Karin Larsen, CBC News, Oct 24, 2016)
- HERITAGE DESIGNATION: 315 WEST 11TH AVENUE (DOERFFLER HOUSE)
- TEXT AMENDMENT: 1001-1015 DENMAN STREET
- TEXT AMENDMENT: 1030 DENMAN STREET (COAST PLAZA HOTEL)
- TEXT AMENDMENT: 4066 MACDONALD STREET AND 2785 ALAMEIN AVENUE
- REZONING: 151-157 WEST 41ST AVENUE
- REZONING: 5050-5080 JOYCE STREET
Vancouver City Council – Standing Committee on Policy and Strategic Priorities, Wednesday, Dec 14, 2016, 9:30 am
- Transportation – 2016 Update
- TransLink Fare Review
- Moving Towards Zero Transportation Fatalities Action Plan
- Automated and Connected Vehicles: Implications for Vancouver and Next Steps
- 800 Robson Plaza Update
- A New Vancouver Art Gallery: Lease Deadline Extension
- Contract Award for Consultant Engineering Services for the Detailed Design of Roads and Utilities in the Northeast False Creek Project
- Proposed Lease Renewals for 1500 Main Street, 1580 Vernon Drive and Proposed Licence Renewal for 58 West Hastings Street for the Continuation of Urban Farming Programs
- 2016 Social Grants for Childcare, Neighbourhoods, Small Capital and Food Programs
Urban Design Panel – Wed, Dec 14, 2016, 3 pm
- 3868-3898 Rupert St & 3304-3308 E 22nd Ave. RZ-2016-00004. Six-storey mixed-use building, commercial at grade, residential above (98 secured market rental units), building height 21m (68 ft.), floor space ratio 3.16. Under Affordable Housing Choices “Interim Rezoning Policy.”
- 5110 Cambie St. RZ-2016-00027. Six-storey residential (12 dwelling units — i.e., condos), building height 20.1 m (66 ft.), floor space ratio 2.40. Under the Cambie Corridor Plan.
- 4138 Cambie St. RZ-2016-00023. Six-storey residential bldg and two-storey townhouses atlane (22 residential units, building height 20.5 m (67 ft.), floor space ratio 2.33. Under the Cambie Corridor Plan.
Development Permit Board (DPB) – Mon, Dec 12 — NOTE. THIS MEETING WAS CANCELLED LATE ON DEC 9, UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE.
- 1345 Davie Street. Henriquez Partners Architects have applied to the City of Vancouver for permission to develop this site with two new 18 and 19 storey residential buildings, over a 3 and 4 storey podium. Application documents here. West End Neighbours comment here. Major development. No public hearing. Goes straight to DPB. Three final staff report documents are now posted on the DPB meeting page.