Below are agendas for the week of October 17. We have highlighted some items with bold and will add some related media links.
We encourage citizens to scan through for any items important to them. Some major developments are on agenda, plus a proposal by the Mayor for “Neighbourhood Councillor Liaisons,” and motion by Councillor Adriane Carr to “Ensure Vancouver Development Levies Are Not Used to Fund Transit.”
Meetings include City Council (Oct 18 Tues & 19 Wed), two Public Hearings (Oct 18 Tues, and Oct 20 Thurs), the Development Permit Board (Oct 17 Mon) and the Urban Design Panel (Oct 19 Wed). The Vancouver City Planning Commission meets the following week (Oct 26 Wed). The Vancouver Park Board meets next in two weeks (Oct 24 Mon). The Vancouver Board of Education (VSB) meets as well (Oct 17 Mon).
On the agenda for the Development Permit Board (Oct 17 Mon):
- 1255 W Pender Street DE420258 (new mixed use building comprising 20 dwelling units and 3,600 sq ft of commercial space)
- 3185 Riverwalk Avenue (Parcel 8A) DP-2016-00246
- 3182 Pierview Crescent (Parcel 3) DP-2016-00243
- 3245 Pierview Crescent (Parcel 5A) DP-2016-00245
On the agenda for the Urban Design Panel (Oct 19 Wed):
- 5030-5070 Cambie Street ( 6-storey residential building, 2-storey townhouses on lane)
- 1400 Robson Street (Empire Landmark Hotel to be demolished, replaced by two 30 storey towers, in the West End)
- 1345 Davie Street (between Jervis and Broughton – two residential towers containing 153 dwelling units, West End)
- 1290 Burrard Street (Burrard Place – which already has a 54-storey tower planned — this application is for a 13-storey commercial building, downtown area)
- HERITAGE DESIGNATION: 1610 Stephens Street (Mary McGregor Cottage)
- REZONING: 1672 West 1st Avenue
- REZONING: 3595 Kingsway (Odd Fellows Manor)
- REZONING: 2395-2469 Kingsway
- REZONING: 2894 East Broadway
- HERITAGE DESIGNATION: 2655 Maple Street (F. Haynes & Company Building)
- REZONING: 920 East Hastings Street (Ray-Cam Co-operative )
- REZONING: 305 West 41st Avenue (Oakridge United Church)
- REZONING: 512 West King Edward Avenue
- REZONING: 725-747 Southeast Marine Drive
- REZONING: 1550 Alberni Street (43-storey market residential tower with commercial at grade, height of 132.35 m (434 ft.), FSR 14.15)
The Vancouver Board of Education (VSB) meets at 7 pm on (Oct 17 Mon). On the agenda, two items jump out under “New Business/Enquiries”:
- Notice of Motion: Britannia Agreement. CHW note – There is no extra explanation, but oddly/incompletely, the “motion” states … “Therefore be it resolved that if Vancouver Board of Education (VSB) staff are not able to achieve a cost sharing arrangement with the City of Vancouver that is fair and equitable to all parties by June 30, 2016, the Board authorizes and directs VSB staff to give Notice of Termination of the Agreement to all parties as per the terms and conditions of the Britannia Centre agreement.”
- Notice of Motion: Reconsideration of the 2016/2017 Operating Budget. According to CBC, the board is planning to pass a balanced budget.
Below are Council regular and committee meeting agendas, with some notes and web links.
REGULAR COUNCIL – TUESDAY, OCTOBER 18, 2016, 9:30 AM
EXCERPT of AGENDA
1. Vancouver Airport Authority Annual Presentation
ARTS AND CULTURE
2. Arts and Culture Grants and Vancouver Civic Theatres
a. Cultural Infrastructure Grant Program Review
b. 2016 Cultural Grants Operating – Large-scale Organization Review and Grant Allocations
c. Underutilized Spaces at Vancouver Civic Theatres (VCT) 2017-2019 – Community Opportunities
d. Vancouver Civic Theatres Rental Rates 2017-2018
1. Appointment of Neighbourhood Councillor Liaisons. See link.
CityHallWatch note: This was controversial when the policy was adopted by Council on January 20, 2016 (See agenda item #9 on that day, including video). The motion #6 by Clr Andrea Reimer including “expectations” for this role was on January 19 (click agenda for more). The mayor’s presentation on this topic will be interesting to watch, as this proposal relates to fundamental roles of our elected officials.
See our detailed analysis on a separate post: https://cityhallwatch.wordpress.com/2016/10/17/neighbourhood-councillor-liaisons/
1. Closure and Sale of a Portion of Road Adjacent to 5045 Boundary Road
2. Management Agreement for Roedde House, 1415 Barclay Street
3. Vancouver Community Sport Hosting Grants – 2016 Fall Intake
1. CD-1 Rezoning: 454 West Pender Street
2. CD-1 Rezoning: 424-428 West Pender Street
3. CD-1 Rezoning: 7638-7664 Cambie Street
1. A By-law to amend Parking By-law No. 6059 regarding parking for the RM-7, RM-7N and RM-7AN Districts Schedule.
2. A By-law to amend Parking By-law No. 6059 regarding parking for the RM-9, RM-9A, RM 9N, RM-9AN and RM-9BN Districts Schedule
3. A By-law to amend Sign-By-law No. 6510 (RM-7, RM-7N, and RM-7AN Districts Schedule, RM-9, RM-9A, RM-AN, RM-9AN and RM-9BN Districts Schedule and related and consequential amendments)
4. A By-law to amend Subdivision By-law No. 5208 regarding the RM-7, RM-7N and RM-7AN Districts Schedule
5. A By-law to amend Subdivision By-law No. 5208 regarding the RM-9, RM-9A, RM-9N, RM 9AN and RM-9BN Districts Schedule
6. A By-law to amend Zoning and Development By-law No. 3575 to rezone an area to CD-1 (526-548 West King Edward Avenue)
7. A By-law to amend Zoning and Development By-law No. 3575 to rezone an area to CD-1 (288-388 West King Edward Avenue)
8. A By-law to amend Zoning and Development By-law No. 3575 to rezone an area to CD-1 (375 West 59th Avenue)
9. A By-law to exempt from taxation certain lands and improvements pursuant to Section 396 of the Vancouver Charter (Seniors Housing)
A. Administrative Motions
B. Motions on Notice
1. Ensuring Vancouver Development Levies Are Not Used to Fund Transit. Motion by Councillor Adriane Carr.
CityHallWatch note – This is very important and the discussion should be interesting. If people sign up to speak to this motion, it will likely be deferred to the next day for discussion at the Committee meeting.
2. Taxi Licensing
STANDING COMMITTEE OF COUNCIL
ON CITY FINANCE AND SERVICES
AGENDA – EXCERPT
DATE: Wednesday, October 19, 2016
TIME: 9:30 am
1. Presentation – Housing Reset Update
2. Endorsement of the 2016 Regional Affordable Housing Strategy
3. Modifications to Lease Terms and Other Arrangements Fire Hall No. 5 / YWCA Project
Recommendation requires eight affirmative votes
4. Contract Award for the Vancouver South Transfer Station Site Improvements PDF