A new rally is being planned by Housing Action for Local Taxpayers (HALT). Speakers include Caroline Adderson, Prof. Josh Gordon, Catherine Duhaime, Paul Kershaw, and Darren Joneson. See below for details, from an announcement circulated by the organizers.
Housing Rally to #HALT THE MADNESS
Sept 17, 2016 (Saturday) starting 2 p.m.
Vancouver Art Gallery (South side)
Fed up with the MADNESS that is metro Vancouver’s housing crisis? Join HALT next Saturday the 17th and help make housing more affordable for locals. https://www.facebook.com/events/866008003533169/
Saturday Sept 17th at 2 PM on the south side of the Vancouver Art Gallery. Let government know that you’ve had enough of the MADNESS that is the metro Vancouver housing market!
We’ll be hosting a rally to demand continued government action on our out of control housing crisis. The best way to get the government’s attention is to fill the streets with upset voters and that’s what we intend to do. We want to make sure this is the #1 issue heading into the May 2017 BC Provincial election and we want to make sure your voice is heard.
We’ve got a great panel of speakers lined up:
– Christine Duhaime, a lawyer heavily involved in catching foreign money launderers in Vancouver
– Josh Gordon, Assistant Professor, School of Public Policy, Simon Fraser University, who has done extensive research on the impact of foreign capital on our housing market
– Dr. Darren Joneson, see rental housing story here
– Caroline Adderson, author of the book “Vancouver Vanishes” owner of FB community of the same name, will talk about demolitions of heritage homes, zoning and how we create density in a liveable, sustainable city
– Paul Kershaw, founder of Generation Squeeze, who will talk about the the challenges millenials face in getting into the housing market and Gen Squeeze’s “Homes First” policy principle.
Come out and find out more about what’s driving unaffordability and what we can do to fix it.
It’s time to:
– HALT corporate donations to political parties. For too long, our governments have served moneyed interests and not the interests of the citizens of our city and our province
– HALT Immigrant Investor Programs that bring in owners who do not contribute to our income tax base
– HALT money laundering and tax fraud by individuals hiding their money in our housing market
– HALT AirBnB of our rental stock. We need regulations in place to protect our renters
– HALT demolitions of affordable rentals that are being replaced by unaffordable luxury condos marketed to offshore buyers
Together, we can make this happen! Come out, support our rally, and show our governments just how important housing affordability is to the citizens of this city and of this province!
Thanks ! See you on Sep 17th @ 2PM at the Vancouver Art Gallery.
Housing Action for Local Taxpayers (HALT) is a non-partisan community action group demanding that all levels of Canadian government address our current foreign money-fuelled housing crisis.
Youtube interview with one of the organizers, Justin Fung: https://t.co/5MrYgcqchR
Globe & Mail: Citizens’ group rises up for Vancouver real estate reform
Georgia Straight Op Ed: Open letter to those who play the race card in the Vancouver housing affordability debate http://www.straight.com/news/734326/justin-fung-open-letter-those-who-play-race-card-vancouver-housing-affordability-debate