(Updated at bottom with text of Sept. 6 media advisory.) Citizens for a Better Vancouver and Concerned Kitsilano Residents have announced plans for a rally as follows:
When: 1 pm on Wednesday, September 7, 2016,
Where: 3200 Block Point Grey Road & Blenheim.
Below is information from an e-mail being circulated.
Petition with link to CBC coverage and video:
- VISION IS PAVING PARADISE WHILE CHILDREN GO HUNGRY
- Our COMMUNITIES are UNDER ATTACK by City
- City is NOT LISTENING to tax payers
- Wake Up Vancouver, Only civic disobedience will work
ARE YOU FED UP yet WITH CITY HALL’S WASTEFUL INFRASTRUCTURE PRIORITIES, DONE DEALS, ABUSE OF POWER, SHAM CONSULTATIONS, PURPOSEFUL GRIDLOCK
WEDNESDAY SEPT 7 AT 1pm
Blenheim & 3200 Point Grey Rd
Let’s start HELP CHANGE THE FATE OF POINT GREY ROAD to REDIRECT $6.4 million.
RALLY TO BLOCK THIS TRAVESTY
This heritage road is fine the way it is. A 9 foot sidewalk is a scandalous waste of money! $10mil already spent! Now another $6.4mil. For the rich?
GET INFORMED ABOUT THE ABUSE www.wakeupvan.com
Citizens for a Better Vancouver
Our message – Are you Angry yet? Want to be heard?
1. Let there be no mistake: The current Vision Council is not a democratic representation Council of Vancouver’s residents, unless you happen to be HUB.This is a ‘cyclists’ Council that blatantly ignores the needs, interests, and rights of the majority of its citizens and changes bylaws to further its own end by steam-rolling through redundant, unwarranted and hypocritical infrastructure at the cost of the rights of its citizens. Have you noticed the purposeful gridlock through out the downtown core and city in general.
Want to be heard?
2. This Council is preventing property owners from removing even one tree from their own properties, yet Council freely cuts down trees and large plant material as planned for Phase 2 on Point Grey Road, to enable its own projects!
Want to be heard?
3. Pay attention to the disappearance of parking along the Arbutus corridor! The trend is it starts with no stopping/parking signs, then the loss becomes permanent. Just ask the residents west of Alma, they lost 100 parking stalls around Jericho Beach. Without consultation! Arbutus corridor paved without consultation!
4. Come down and join us. The city is coming with their bulldozers on Wednesday Sept 7th. 761 signed the petition and now you can show your opposition to City Council in person! We cannot stop this without bodies and voices to demand an end to this totally unpopular, unwanted and unnecessary destruction. we need YOU!!
Citizens for a Better Vancouver www.wakeupvan.com
September 6, 2016
MEDIA ADVISORY: Citizens for a Better Vancouver will be holding a Protest Rally Wednesday September 7 on Point Grey Road at Blenheim Street.
Citizens for a Better Vancouver (www.wakeupvan.com) will be holding a protest rally tomorrow, Wednesday, September 7th, at 1:00 PM on Point Grey Road (3200 block) at Blenheim Street to disrupt construction of an unwanted 9-foot wide sidewalk costing $6.4 million. Protest organizer Fiona Brodie says the group wants to draw public attention to Vancouver City Hall’s wasteful infrastructure priorities and shameful done deals, abuses of power, sham consultations, and intentionally-created gridlock.
“We’re hoping our protest will wake people up and change the fate of Point Grey Road,” said Brodie. “The $6.4 million that’s about to be spent on a 9-foot wide sidewalk could be better spent on more pressing needs in the city. $10 million has already been spent on Point Grey Road and it’s fine the way it is. Spending another $6.4 million on a 9-foot wide sidewalk is a scandalous waste of money and a travesty.”
Citizens for a Better Vancouver held a similar protest rally three months ago in late June (City Isn’t Listening) with close to 300 people in attendance. The group was formed to help Vancouver neighbourhoods unite against the dangers and wastefulness of millions of taxpayers’ dollars being spent on redundant, inaccessible infrastructure.
For more information, please contact Fiona Brodie or Mary Lavin at