The Public Hearing for Tuesday, May 17th has four rezonings proposals on the agenda. The two more contentious items will likely be a tower proposed for 753 Seymour Street (beside the Scotiabank tower) and a 7-storey container building proposal at 420 Hawks Avenue, just south of East Hastings. Two Cambie corridor rezonings at 288-388 West King Edward Avenue (two 4-storey buildings / 56 units) and at 619-633 West King Edward (4-storeys / 31 units) will also be reviewed.
The 33-storey tower proposed for 753 Seymour Street would include 8 floors of underground parking as well as parking on levels 2 to 6. A proposed floor space ratio of 22.96 is up from the currently FSR of 5.86 allowed under the existing zoning for the site. An extra 341,865 square feet (31,760m2) in area is being requested over the current CD-1 zoning. A total office area of 398,942 sq ft (37,062m2) and 65,515 sq ft (6,086m2) of parking is proposed above grade, along with retail at ground level (1,243 sq ft / 115m2). An increase in height for the tower site from 59 ft (~18m) to 411 ft (~125m) is also proposed. A portion of the above grade parking may be converted to offices space in the future.
In return for the giant increase in overall density, a mere $2.5 million worth of CACs are proposed to go to childcare. Is this really enough? CACs should capture approximately 75% of the land lift after the rezoning (land lift is the difference in the value of the land before and after the rezoning). Do city staff maintain that the land value at 753 Seymour Street could only increase by $3.3 million after a rezoning, for prime commercial office space in the heart of the Central Business District?
There proposed tower site is between West Georgia and Robson on the west side of Seymour Street. A number of negative impacts from a new tower could include wind tunnel effects, less light at grade on Granville Street from increased shadowing, and the impacts would be increased due to the very close proximity to both the Scotiabank tower and the Telus Garden complex. The rezoning application is being submitted by Musson Cattell Mackey Partnership on behalf of London Life Insurance Company Inc., The Great-West Life Assurance Company Inc. and HOOPP Realty Inc.
A 7-storey building made from shipping containers is proposed at 420 Hawks Avenue. A building height of 72ft is proposed, with a FSR of 4.42. A total of 21 units are proposed with a mix of 7 micro-dwelling units and 14 two-bedroom units. The site is currently zoned as M-1 industrial and has an existing building that has frontage on East Hastings. Further details on the proposal are on the City’s rezoning centre.
For reference, we’ve reproduced the full agenda for the upcoming Public Hearing below:
NOTICE OF MEETING
PUBLIC HEARING AGENDA
|DATE:||Tuesday, May 17, 2016|
Third Floor, City Hall
- If you would like to speak at the Public Hearing please email email@example.com or call 604.829.4238.
- You can also register on the day of the Hearing, between 5:30 and 6 pm, or 30 minutes before the hearing starts, at City Hall. For more information on Public Hearings, please visit vancouver.ca/publichearings.
- You can also communicate your comments to City Council by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Visit http://vancouver.ca/speaker-wait-times or @VanCityClerk on Twitter for real-time information on the progress of City Council meetings.
- A live video stream of the meeting will be available at http://civic.neulion.com/cityofvancouver/. An archive of the video stream will be available the day following the meeting
- A complete video stream of the meeting will be available the day following the meeting.
- Agendas and reports are available on the City of Vancouver web site at http://vancouver.ca/meetingschedule approximately one week before the meeting date.
- Minutes are generally available on the web site within two days following the meeting.
COMMITTEE OF THE WHOLE
1. REZONING: 288-388 West King Edward Avenue
2. REZONING: 4085 Ash Street and 619-633 West King Edward Avenue
3. REZONING: 650 West Georgia Street (753 Seymour Street)
4. REZONING: 420 Hawks Avenue
RISE FROM COMMITTEE OF THE WHOLE
ADOPT REPORT OF COMMITTEE OF THE WHOLE
* * * * *