The Development Permit Board (DPB) will review an application for development at 569 Great Northern Way. This is the site where we noted Massive clear cut along Great Northern Way (March 25, 2015) even before this development is officially permitted, despite Vancouver City Hall’s “Urban Forest Strategy,” and just before the much-promoted “Vancouver Tree Week.” This development will have impacts on views for buildings to the south.
Development Permit Board
May 2, 2016 (Monday), starting 3 pm
Town Hall Meeting Room, City Hall
Previously addressed, 565 Great Northern Way, the site is part of the broader Great Northern Way Campus (GNWC) redevelopment, and directly south of the future Emily Carr University (ECUAD). It is bounded by the future extension to Carolina Street on the east, and future GNWC development sites to the west, and is proposed to have connections through to the future Great Northern Way campus. (As an aside, developers’ changes of addresses certainly makes it harder for citizens searching to track the history of specific sites and developments. This switch from 565 to 569 is one example. The project is also an example of privatization of part of a site that could have been used for educational purposes).
GREAT NORTHERN WAY – DE419971 – ZONE CD-1
Applicant: Perkins & Will Canada Architects
Property Owner: PCI Developments Corporation
Request: To develop on this site a seven-storey office building, a one-storey retail building and a new public plaza, all having access to three levels of underground parking.
Staff: Troy Tenney and Tim Potter
Info about the development application:
Perkins + Will Architects has applied to the City of Vancouver for permission to develop this site with a 7-storey office building and a 1-storey retail building:
- Total floor area of 14,715 m2 (14,429 m2 for office and 286 m2 for retail);
- Building height of approximately 30.48 metres for the office building and 7.32 metres for the retail building;
- 474 underground parking spaces accessed from Carolina Street;
- Provision of a new public plaza and pedestrian spine providing access to the proposed buildings and connections through the Great Northern Way Campus.
The maximum heights for this site were approved by Council at Public Hearing on December 15, 2015 in a rezoning process whereby the text of CD-1 (402) (Comprehensive Development) District By-law for Great Northern Way Campus, Sub Area 3 for Maximum Building Heights was amended to:
- decrease the maximum height within Area A from 18.29 m (60 ft.) to 7.62 m (25 ft.)
- allow an increase in height within Area B from 18.29 m (60 ft.) to 30.48 m (100 ft.)
- No increase to the overall density was proposed.
More info on that rezoning process: