Fire set off by fireworks. Considerable damage to heritage house. Should City review policy?

Fires and firecrackers

105-year old heritage house before and after a fire that was set off by fireworks

A heritage house on Woodland Drive was badly damaged from a fire in October. Investigators are still looking for additional tips on solving this case. This arson was caused by fireworks and the perpetrators reportedly fled the scene. The mainstream media previously reported on this story:

Firework blamed as fire tears through East Vancouver home (CBC, Rafferty Baker, Oct 30, 2015)
Fireworks blamed for blaze that destroyed century-old home (CTV, Nafeesa Karim, Oct 30, 2015)
Police believe fireworks to blame for blaze that destroyed East Vancouver home (Global News, Yuliya Talmazan, Oct 30, 2015)

An open question going forward is whether the City of Vancouver should ban the sale of fireworks. For the record, we’ve reproduced the following description about the arson:

Metro Vancouver Crime Stoppers

10th Avenue and WoodlandUNSOLVED CRIME

Pic 1-4

Title: Fireworks Fire
Offence: Arson
Date: Oct. 29, 2015

VPD 15-203553
Location: 2500 blk. Woodland Dr. Van. BC

On October 29th, 2015 shortly before 10:30 P.M. fireworks were set off in the area of the 2500 Woodland Drive. A firework strayed toward a house and caught the front porch on fire. This heritage home was quickly engulfed in flames. The damage was estimated at $500,000. At this point investigators don’t know if this was accidental or an intentional arson; however, if it weren’t for the quick response of neighbours, this could have been a fatal fire.

VPD MCS Arson investigators have spoken to several witnesses, but believe there are still people in the area that may have information to help solve this case.

If you have information on this incident, VPD Arson investigators would like to speak to you. If you have information, but would like to remain anonymous, call Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-8477.

crimestoppers tweet

Further details are available via a Facebook page


fire heritage house woodland

One thought on “Fire set off by fireworks. Considerable damage to heritage house. Should City review policy?

  1. This was my beautiful HOME for 29 years. And now because of reckless play with FIREWORKS I’ve lost everything. FIREWORKS should be BANNED in this city. It’s a juvenile, senseless and violent pastime, Bruce.

Leave a comment

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s