A sign at the corner of Granville Street and West Broadway was illegally replaced a few months ago. The new “AEG education” corner sign is now installed on the protected Class A heritage building at 1484-1490 West Broadway.
For the record, we’ve included a photograph of the new sign from September 29, 2015 (see inset). The colour of the sign has also been changed to a red base, from the previous blue base that was more in line with the colour scheme of the building. The former Kaplan sign was a light blue colour.
The news of the illegal replacement of the sign was covered on 980 CKNW: Historic blue neon sign on Granville and Broadway replaced (Emily Lazatin, August 11, 2015). The article noted that “the city did not issue a permit for the sign to be changed” and it was labelled as “an eyesore” by a critic.
Is the City of Vancouver incapable of enforcing sign bylaws? Or is there another reason why the City looks the other way when its bylaws are violated? Did City inspectors fail to notice the work earlier this year (image from Google Maps included below)? Whatever happened to the original sign?
Google Maps view from May 2015 (above) and original photo from February 2014 (below)