City staff have produced a shortlist of locations for the love locks that include English Bay Beach, Kitsilano Beach and Queen Elizabeth Park; staff also considered Jericho Beach and Prospect Point as potential locations.
An upcoming public consultation process will be used to help determine the location for the love locks. The report recommends that a custom sculpture be built to accommodate the locks, following the examples of Toronto, Seoul and Moscow:
“the on-going appearance of love locks in Vancouver presents an opportunity for the Park Board to create a permanent, structurally safe home for love locks in a park setting. To overcome risks, the best opportunity for love locks is to fabricate a custom sculpture built by a local artist or designer.”
Last year, Commissioner John Coupar put forward a motion to ask staff to find a permanent home for love locks (further details can be found in our previous post, Where should the love locks go? July 22, 2014).
Park Board staff will also include an update from the Trans and Gender Variant Inclusion Working Group at the meeting. A report on the renewal of operating agreements with Lawn Bowling Clubs will be examined by the Board. Finally, a report on a YMCA Childcare at Champlain Community School will be reviewed.
For reference, we’ve reproduced the full agenda of the Park Board meeting below:
BOARD OF PARKS AND RECREATION PARK BOARD COMMITTEE MEETING
Monday, July 6, 2015
Park Board – Boardroom
- For more information, or for speaker registration, please call the Park Board Meeting line at 604-257-8158, or email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- To register online: http://vancouver.ca/your-government/park-board-meetings-and-decisions.aspx.
- The Agenda is available on the Park Board website at: http://vancouver.ca/your-government/park-board-committee-meetings.aspx. This information is updated in the week prior to the meeting.
- Park Board meetings can be watched live online at: http://civic.neulion.com/vancouverparkboard/; videos are archived and available for on-demand viewing a few days after each meeting.
ADOPTION OF MINUTES
1. Park Board Committee Meeting – June 22, 2015
MATTERS ADOPTED ON CONSENT
3. PRESENTATION: Trans* and Gender Variant Inclusion Working Group Update
4. REPORT BACK: Love Locks Concept Plan
* * * * *
A Regular Board meeting will be convened immediately following the Park Board Committee meeting.
REGULAR BOARD MEETING
PLEASE NOTE: Regular Board meeting items are not available for speaker registration. To hear from delegations on a topic, the Board will refer the item to a future Committee meeting.
THAT the Board will go into a meeting on July 20, 2015, which is closed to the public, pursuant to Section 165.2(1) of the Vancouver Charter, to discuss matters related to paragraphs:
(g) litigation or potential litigation affecting the City or Park Board;
(i) the receipt of advice that is subject to solicitor-client privilege, including communications necessary for that purpose;
(k) negotiations and related discussions respecting the proposed provision of an activity, work or facility that are at their preliminary stages and that, in the view of the Board, could reasonably be expected to harm the interests of the City and Park Board if they were held in public.
ITEMS ARISING FROM THE “IN CAMERA” MEETING OF JUNE 22, 2015
Park Board made the following appointments to the Trans* and Gender Variant Inclusion Steering Committee for the term of July2015 – July 2017:
- Aftab Erfan
- Cindy Holmes
- Jazmine Khan
- Dora Ng
- Kai Scott
- Jaedyn Starr
- Lori Shenher
- Kira Yee
ADOPTION OF MINUTES
1. Regular Board Meeting – June 22, 2015
1. Report of the Park Board Committee – Monday, July 6, 2015
Approval of recommendations and actions.
GENERAL MANAGER’S REPORT
MOTIONS ON NOTICE
1. Jericho Lands – Park Board Involvement
MOVER: Commissioner Evans
NOTICE OF MOTIONS
* * * * *
NEXT MEETING: Monday, July 20, 2015 at 7:00 pm at the Park Board office.