(Post-meeting update: Except for #4, Council passed all other items on the agenda. The 275 Kingsway rezoning was referred as Unfinished Business to the next Council meeting March 4 for discussion and debate.)
Seven items are up at a Public Hearing scheduled for Tuesday, February 17th at 6pm. The most contentious item is a very high density tower proposed at 275 Kingsway (333 East 11th Avenue). This development would contravene the recently passed Mount Pleasant Community Plan and also provide a $1.745 million DCL waiver to the proponent. It is a high-rise with almost triple the density allowed under current zoning. It is for market rental housing, with very small units.
The first three items are Heritage designations for 1601 Comox Street, 1546 Nelson Street and 1010 East 21st Avenue. (These are basically administrative steps, as Development Permits have already been already to accommodate the new buildings proposed for each of these sites.) Then, 275 Kingsway is the fourth item on the agenda. Finally, three Oak Street proposals are up for three and four storey rezonings (5508, 5430 and 6070 Oak).
The order of the agenda is as follows:
1. 1601 Comox Street (Grace Court – Heritage Designation)
2. 1546 Nelson Street (Urquhart Residence – Heritage Designation)
3. 1010 East 21st Avenue (Wickson House – Heritage Designation)
4. 275 Kingsway (333 East 11th Avenue – Rezoning)
5. 5508-5542 Oak Street (Rezoning)
6. 5430-5450 Oak Street (Rezoning)
7. 6070-6090 Oak Street (Rezoning)
We’ll note that Vancouver City Council sometimes varies the agenda order at the beginning of meetings so speakers for the later items should take note (i.e., follow the updates on twitter or via the live video stream at the beginning of the meeting).
Speakers can register by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org or by phoning 604.829.4238 (the Public Hearing hotline). It’s useful for speakers to also ask for their number in line so they can track when they will be up to speak. As well, it’s possible to register in person before the hearing starts (at City Hall, 6pm), or ask to speak at the end of the speaker’s list. For reference, we’ve reproduced the full meeting agenda below:
|DATE:||Tuesday, February 17, 2015|
Third Floor, City Hall
• If you would like to speak at the Public Hearing, please call 604.829.4238 or email email@example.com. Alternatively, you can register on the day of the meeting. For more information on Public Hearings, please visit vancouver.ca/publichearings.
• You can also communicate your comments to City Council by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Visit http://vancouver.ca/speaker-wait-times or @VanCityClerk on Twitter for real-time information on the progress of City Council meetings.
• A live video stream of the meeting will be available at http://civic.neulion.com/cityofvancouver/. An archive of the video stream will be available the day following the meeting.
COMMITTEE OF THE WHOLE
1. HERITAGE DESIGNATION: 1601 Comox Street (Grace Court)
2. HERITAGE DESIGNATION: 1546 Nelson Street (Urquhart Residence)
3. HERITAGE DESIGNATION: 1010 East 21st Avenue (Wickson House)
|February 13, 2015||1||0||0|
4. REZONING: 275 Kingsway (333 East 11th Avenue)
|February 13, 2015||1||2||0|
5. REZONING: 5508-5542 Oak Street
|February 13, 2015||0||2||0|
6. REZONING: 5430-5450 Oak Street
|February 13, 2015||0||2||0|
7. REZONING: 6070-6090 Oak Street
RISE FROM COMMITTEE OF THE WHOLE
ADOPT REPORT OF COMMITTEE OF THE WHOLE